Friday, March 30, 2007

Lesson 22 - ebooks

I have been familiar with ebooks for a few years. I have checked out a text version from our Library. The format keeps changing, with different audio platforms added. I would like to hear books in the public domain, (cheaper that way, at first) and then read the newer books from ebook sources. Project Gutenberg has the simple encoding, ASCII and our ebooks has Adobe PDF, which gives the pages a more realistic look. But Gutenberg has a nice searchable catalog, its the first and it has the top 100, too. I think this will take off even more when wireless becomes more common and laptops are light and portable. Then people can peruse books and return them, or potential copies, mirrors, can be duplicated as new readers dictate. I didn't notice tags on the Gutenberg site, but I would think Library Thing and del.icio.us would benefit from partnering with the Gutenberg project.

No comments: